Friday, April 2, 2010

'Wilson' porcelain bowl

Inspired by everyday objects around my house, this is a cast of my son’s basketball made in porcelain and glazed in his favorite color. For fun and memories, I made molds of some of his discarded balls that were lying under bushes and in the woods in my backyard. Actually, this basketball is the template and inspiration for many of the bowls I've made. So, I've decided to name this series of porcelain bowls, "Wilson". Does anyone remember that from the movie 'Castaway' with Tom Hanks?

I'm heading to Maryland for Easter weekend and will be posting more on this series next week.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much... you are very kind!
    yes, I do think it happened because the glaze was too thick where it was dipped twice. Though I have a mechanical one, I've never tried to use an airbrush, it looks to me more frightening than dipping. Do you apply transparent glaze with brush? Does it look even layer after firing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would have thought a basketball would make such a beautiful bowl; you are so creative, that color is beautiful. And doubly nice that it is made with your son's old toys.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails